Saturday, September 18, 2010

Magical Meltdown

So, I slacked off a bit this week, but for good reason.  I had an interview yesterday morning that I had been doing some research on most of the week.  The interview went well I think, and I hope to be getting a call on Monday or Tuesday with some good news.  So, I'm going to try this again, and take my mind back to Disneyworld.  Here we go!
On Thursday, we had decided to spend our last day at the Magic Kingdom.  It was an extra magic hours day, and at night was the Electric Light Parade - two things that must be taken advantage of.  The park opened early for those staying on property at 8 A.M.  Naturally, we arrived a little late, around 8:45.  It is human nature to take a right when you enter a park or event apparently.  I have read this on many occasion, so we headed to the left - Frontierland, here we come!  It was unreal.  It was as though we had the left hand side of the park to ourselves until almost noon. Which means we also got to see some more characters - Yeahh!!!  We were able to add Woody and Jessie to our list, along with another Ariel spotting - this time with "her daddy".  Her daddy meaning Prince Eric.  This being one of the funnier quirks of Miss Giggles' - calling each princesses' prince her "daddy".  Of course, I see the adult humor in this, and it is something that continues to go uncorrected.

I don't believe what I just saw

Also, while in Frontierland Miss Giggles rode the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad with me and we had the opportunity to watch the Country Bear Jamboree.  She liked the ride part of the railroad, but not the "dark part" as you make your ascent.  So, we were one and done on Big Thunder Mountain - but she rode it and that's all I can ask.  As for the Country Bear Jamboree, The Boss and I were awestruck.  I don't believe this "attraction" has changed since the Magic Kingdom first opened its doors on October 1, 1971.  It is considered a Disneyworld classic.  It's classically something alright.  With hillbilly bears singing songs such as "Blood on the Saddle", "Don't Whip Little Buford" and "All the Guys That Turn Me On Turn Me Down" I was amazed that Disney still has an attraction as un-politically correct as this one.  Don't get me wrong, I found the hilarity in this as well, because I am a HUGE fan of things that eschew political correctness.  Because of this, I would say that the Country Bear Jamboree is a can't miss - for all of the wrong reasons.

The Blind Leading the Blind?



Daddy, will you still love me during my meltdown?
After lunch we passed the throngs of people heading across the park to where we had already been.  We headed to the teacups again, one of Miss Giggles' favorites, and let her drive the car with mommy. During "Story Time with Belle" I had noticed that Miss Giggles' eyes were starting to droop a little.  If life had a musical score, I woud have heard a faint "duh nuh, duh nuh" (Jaws) creeping up on me.  After the story ended, we headed inside a store to cool off a bit, but Miss Giggles was just warming up.  She had been playing with a make your own Mr. Potato Head, and I told her it was time to find something for Miss Lala because she had already gotten a toy (baby Simba).  Well, this was apparently unacceptable.  As we began to walk away, she began kicking and screaming, lying on the floor - you know, everything involved with a tired and overheated child's nuclear meltdown.  It was brutal.  Keep in mind, this is a large store, and The Boss and Miss Lala were across the way and not witness to this spectacular event.  As I fireman carry her outside, as though I am kidnapping her, I force her into her kiddy straight jacket, a.k.a the stroller.  It was at this point that a woman walks up to me and offers her words of encouragement stating "aww, mine did that yesterday".  Only at Disney are acts such as this not only common and acceptable, but almost expected.  At that point, we went back inside to find The Boss and Miss Lala.  Apparently, Miss Giggles wasn't done.  Seeing The Boss, she wiggles out of the stroller, and begins flopping on the ground like a fish out of water.  The Boss, had not a clue what was going on.  I told her that she had already missed the first half, and this must be the second.  We immediately headed out of there as though the place was on fire, telling Miss Giggles that because of her antics we were forgoing the afternoon parade.  Secretly, I think this may have been more of a punishment to The Boss than Miss Giggles.  I have never know a grown woman with such an affinity for parades.  We laid her down in the stroller and headed back to the hotel to cool off, both physically and mentally. She was asleep in two minutes flat.
After cooling off in the pool, we hit The Wave restaurant at our hotel and went back to the Magic Kingdom for the Electric Light parade.  Before the parade came the fireworks, which as mentioned previously are not my children's favorites.  So, with everyone outside watching the fireworks, we headed inside and saw Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Belle, Tinkerbell, and two other fairies that I don't know.  Sorry, I can't know them all.  I have to save some space in my brain for sports statistics and other useless facts and figures.  With everyone outside, we almost had the run of the place, and the girls got to spend some extra long quality time with the princesses.  In fact, the crowd was so sparse, Cinderella and Belle came out front because there was no one in line.  It was like an encore, tag team appearance for Miss Giggles, and a fitting end to our character experiences at Disneyworld.

Now this is more my size!
Afterwards we watched the Electric Light Parade.  Yet another parade that Disney throws just because.  It is pretty neat, and something that Miss Giggles also enjoyed - Miss Lala passed out in the stroller shortly after it began.  This provided a fun and fitting end to our Disneyworld vacation - or so I thought.  The Boss, wanting to miss the exodus out of the parks, hatched a plan to weave through the stores on the way out.  An hour later, doors locked, cast members pointing this way and that with directions to the closest exit.  Making my way to the cash register, I am reminded of an old saying - "fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me."  Thus, providing a fitting conclusion to our Disneyworld vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment